Skookumchuck Narrows Flyover and Hike
Have you heard of the Skookumchuck Narrows Provincial Park? They’re pretty cool! Here’s a flyover and also a hike-in to the view point.
Access to the hiking trail and Skookumchuck rapids and whirlpools is from Egmont BC. The rapids are a pretty big deal, so just follow the signs!
It’s a nice path that I call rolling flat (so mostly flat with slight ups and downs). It’s a 4 km hike in so about an hour and 15 minutes. There is picturesque Brown Lake along your way.
The Skookumchuck Narrows is the narrow opening between the open waters of the Georgia Strait and the large Sechelt Inlet. As the tide comes in and out from the Georgia Strait, water pours through this opening, creating the rapids. The difference in water levels can exceed two metres in height and the speed of the current can exceed 30km/hr.
Check out the links in the description for a tide table that outlines best viewing times for whirlpool and whitewater action.
Thanks for watching!
Map to Skookumchuck Narrows
About this video…
- Skookumchuck Narrows Flyover and Hike In
- Footage was taken March 18, 2017 & July 22, 2017 & January 14, 2018 – uploaded January 28, 2018.
- https://www.BurntBoat.Media production for https://www.LiveOnTheSunshineCoast.ca.
- Director/Producer/Editor/Camera: Val Labrecque
- Assistant Producer/Editor/Camera: Paul Poulsen
- Music: Life on a String Bed – JP